Constructed by Michael O’Donoghue, a Milltown building contractor, over 1897-98 on the instruction of Michael J. Quirke, Manager of the National Bank, “Bank House” is one of the most imposing and impressive buildings in Killorglin. The National Bank commenced business in Killorglin in 1871, on Lower Bridge Street (now Jim Burns Auctioneers). A native of Waterford city, Quirke was the branch accountant since the 1880s and developed – and expanded – the account and customer base so much that he was appointed manager and gained approval for a new premises.
In the autumn of 1897 Mr Quirke’s health declined, and Edmund Burke was transferred from Dingle and appointed acting manager. Michael Quirke died in March 1898 aged 49.
The new branch in Market Street opened in 1897 and also included a spacious residence and gardens for the manager and his family in the Victorian style with grand reception rooms and beautiful views over the river Laune. It was a condition of service that each manager would live in the Bank house during the tenure of office.
Bank of Ireland closed the Killorglin branch in October 2021, bringing to a close a 150-year business in banking and financial services.