Retreat house , Rossbeigh , 1920 ‘s . Mary Christine (Chris) Joy nee O Shea . b.1896 R.I.P.1948 . Her husband was Pat Joy. They lived at Mount Rivers , Owenagarry. They had one son , William . Mount Rivers was sold and he bought a shop and pub in upper Bridge St. (Later Kerry’s Vintage Bar) . He re-married and bought a farm for his son at Tubrid , Beaufort , which is now run by Williams’ son , Ian. When Pat retired he went to live with his son William .
Kitty O Regan , 1920 ‘s. Caragh Lake area (upper Caragh river)
Sheila Mangan nee O Regan with sister Bridie Lindigger nee O Regan , 1920’s
kitty O Regan (Centre) with her sister Hannah on the right.
Annadale Rd in the early twentieth century. Note the women wearing the black shawls , which was a common sight all over Ireland up to the 1960’s. Also note the aquaduct which brought water from Farrantooreen lake to the mill. The aquaduct has long since been removed , but the limestone pier , left , iis still to be seen today.
John Joe O’Connor & Ted Mangan dressed as Redcoats for their roles in “Kathleen Mavoureen” 1928
1918 , Billy O Sullivan , IRA , armed to the teeth with either a German “Mauser” or a Lee Enfield .303 rifle , the rifle’s bayonet , what looks like a Webley service revolver , and plenty of ammo for both.
1920’s car Ford Model A
Girlie & Peggy Flynn
9 members of the War of Independence era Cumann na mBan
Emigrated To South Africa, Married Archibald Edward Benson, Had 3 Chiildren – Edward Michael (Known as Michael, Patricia Vera Aileen & William Quimlivan Known As Billy & W.Q
Dermot McGillycuddy of the Reeks.
Tommy Eileens Wedding
1928 William West, Madge West & Jackie West First reaper and binder in the Parish.
Bridie McCarthy went to the U.S.
1925 Douglas National School
1920 The Foley Family.