This interesting old letterbox on the front wall of the former Douglas National School has seen better days, 2014

Posted by on Sep 12, 2014 in School | Comments Off

The former Douglas National School. This was one of six national schools built by Fr. Tom Lawlor, Parish Priest of Killorglin 1884-1916. The school as can be seen in the photo has fallen into disrepair due to the ravages of time and neglect. Note the old letterbox  on the corner wall of the school. This interesting artifact on the corner of the front wall of the school has seen better days.  It would have been put in place during the reign of Edward VII. It is a remnant of the Empire. They were always painted red but following Ireland’s Independence in 1922 they were painted green.  2014

Ref: Sc088